Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The First Attempt - Video Tech Jane

A Tuesday at NYU consists of two classes and I follow that up with a student who is active in the Jazz Choir. Since I am a professional singer in the jazz idiom, I love teaching some of my craft - especially the scat singing part.There is no "set" way to teach it, only the ears and the ability to be free rhythmically.These two factors are hinged on the person them self- where they come from, how much listening they have done, and how much jazz theory and instrumental knowledge they have. It's quite a challenge. Some of the best educators in the jazz world have written books and constructed performance dvds and now have "on-line" lessons available to address this .. once again, the new technology comes into play.

The reason I mentioned all the above is that the next phase in my course work is a final project which is a video and sound recording that will become a short podcast consisting opinions and personal stories related to music education. My student was my first subject in this endeavor. And I with a pocket video camera (which I played with some) - asked several questions and off we went- the first episode/or experiment began.. The one detail I missed was the zoom capability and I found that detail and corrected it. The next time will be even better.

No comments: